I’m addicted to my big salads, and eat them almost every day. Those of you who know me, know that big salads are my trademark. And although I try to mix them up, it can be tough during the winter months to keep them exciting.
But now that the warm weather is here and it’s easy to get fresh local veggies, I thought I’d take advantage and shake up my salad routine with some seasonal, local goodness!
Although it’s not technically summer here yet in Toronto, grilling season is well under way. So if you want a healthy alternative to hot dogs and burgers at your next social barbecue, try grilling some veggies for this delicious and refreshing grilled summer salad!
- High in lycopene, an amazing and powerful antioxidant
- Rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C and potassium
- High in calcium and vitamin K which help maintain strong bones
- Rich source of glutothione, one of the most powerful antioxidants
- High in folate which is good for brain health
- Good source of inulin, which is a “prebiotic” that helps with digestion
I’m not a big dairy eater anymore, but I do enjoy some goat or sheep feta on my salads sometimes. Why choose goat over cow cheese?
- Much easier to digest
- Less allergenic
- Closer in profile to human milk
- Contains less lactose, so much better tolerated for those who are lactose intolerant
Grilled Summer Salad Recipe
Please feel free to adjust the amount of ingredients to taste. As you may know by now, I’m more of a figure it out as you go kind of cook. So as with all my recipes, this is meant to give you an idea, but I encourage you to make it your own.
- 3 cups grape or cherry tomotoes (local and in season is so much tastier!)
- 10-12 asparagus spears
- 2 cups watermelon
- Goat feta cheese
- Fresh herbs (I used basil and mint)
- Juice of half a fresh lime
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbps extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, of pink himalayan salt
- Grill tomatoes and asparagus in a grill basket on the barbecue until softened and slightly charred
- Whisk together lime juice, apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and sea or himalayan salt for dressing
- Add arugala to your salad bowl
- Once grilled veggies are done, toss them in half the dressing mixture
- Add grilled veggies to the arugala
- Add watermelon and goat feta
- Add fresh herbs
- Add remaining dressing and toss
- Enjoy with friends at your next summer barbecue!!
Like this post? Get more radiant health goodies delivered straight to your inbox. Plus get a free copy of our FREE RADIANT BEAUTY GUIDE!
If you liked this post, I’d be super grateful if you’d share on social media using the links below.
Lots of love and gratitude,