Curious about what could do all that and more? In case you haven’t figured it out yet, it’s oil pulling!
Here’s the scoop on oil pulling. It’s the practice of swishing coconut or some other type of oil around in your mouth for 10 to 20 minutes, first thing in the morning. If you haven’t heard about it, at first it sounds a little crazy, but it’s become pretty mainstream in holistic health circles. It’s an ancient Ayurvedic technique that’s been used for thousands of years as a natural healing practice. It’s said to draw out toxins from the body, that build up in the mouth.
What Oils Can be Used?
Sesame oil was traditionally used, but you can also use sunflower oil, or coconut oil which is very popular. Whatever oil you use, make sure it’s organic! The thought of swishing oil around in your mouth for up to 20 minutes may seem kind of weird, but I assure you, when you get used to it, it’s fine. And once you start to see the benefits you may get hooked!
I used to always use organic sunflower oil, mainly because I have a thing about texture, and the thought of unmelted coconut oil in my mouth was really gross. And guess what, the first time I tried with coconut oil, it was really gross! But it melts really quickly and I’m ok with it now. I still like to alternate between sunflower and coconut oil.
Some benefits have more scientific evidence than others, like these…
- Reduces bacteria in the mouth that causes tooth decay and plaque buildup.
- By removing bacteria it’s been proven to help freshen breath.
- Reduces gingivitis which is caused by inflammation of the gums.
Other benefits may not have the scientific proof to back them up that I could find, but they all make sense, and many people have experienced these benefits.
- Increases energy
- Whitens teeth
- Clearer skin
- Reduces hangover effects (yes, seriously!)
- Headache relief
- Support hormone imbalances
- Overall detoxification
How do you do it?
- Do it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
- Put about a couple of teaspoons of oil in your mouth and swish it around for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Make sure you don’t swallow any! This is important because you don’t want to introduce those toxins back into your system.
- It will get thick and increase in volume, up to double as time goes on, so you may want to start with just a teaspoon.
- When you’re done, spit the oil out in the garbage. Don’t spit it in the sink because you don’t want to clog the your sink.
- Rinse your moth out with water.
- Brush your teeth with your awesome DIY toothpaste 😃
- Show off your smile all day long!
My Personal Experience
I definitely notice cleaner teeth with less buildup. The effect is really immediate. Your teeth feel super clean and it gets rid of that morning buildup in your mouth, and leaves your breath fresh.
It can be hard to get used to depending on your morning routine. I walk my dog first thing in the morning, so I do it during my dog walk, which can be kinda awkward if I run into people I know. You may want to do it in your morning shower (just don’t spit it down the drain!), while you’re making your morning smoothie, or whatever works for you!
Let me know what you think and what benefits you’ve found from your experience in the comments below! I’d be curious to know about the hangover one in particular, so please share 🙂
Like this post? Get more radiant goodness delivered straight to your inbox. Plus get a free copy of our FREE RADIANT BEAUTY GUIDE!
If you liked this post, I’d be super grateful if you’d share on social media using the links below.
Lots of love and gratitude,